Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2008

5 cup review from Coffee Time Review for The Privateer


THE PRIVATEER
DAWN MCTAVISH
ISBN: 0843959819
December 2007
Dorchester Publishing
Paperback
$6.99
352 pages
Historical Romance
Rating: 5 cups

Lady Lark Eddington feels her world is being tossed about. She knew that her father gambled, but now it has fallen to her to try to get out from under the debt. Her father’s death brought much more than mere debt. She has no family to help her. She is discouraged and sees no hope anywhere. Although she is a stubborn woman, she knows it will take a very long time for her to clear the debts without assistance.

Basil “King” Kingston is the Earl of Grayshire. He has taken his time to find someone to marry, even though his mother hounds him to give her an heir. He has a lady in mind but is not sure about making the commitment. He does not want to end up like his father but can see no way out. His must also find a companion for his mother and that task is just as difficult since his mother is not an easy woman to get along with.

Being put in Marshalsea was humiliating for Lark. But it cannot be worse than the way the ton treats her and offers her no help. She was set to work off her debt until she somehow caught the eye of the Earl of Grayshire. He wants her help, but she is not sure if that is something she wants to do. However, since she is desperate, she does not have a lot of options. King is quite taken with Lark but is engaged to another woman. Will he be able to get out of it? There is a heat between Lark and King that cannot be denied, even when they accidentally touch. Lark just wants to get away and try to start over her life. But with dreams of King in her head, she is unsure that it will be possible. Plans go awry when King does his duty to the crown and heads out to sea. He knows his mother will not be pleased with him but there is not a whole lot he can do about it. King just hopes that everything will be okay while he is gone. Lark hopes he will come back safely. Will they get their wishes?

Ms. MacTavish writes compelling characters. I found both Lark and King great to read and learn about. Protocol had a place in the 1800’s in England and this illustrates not only how they lived, but also how things were pushed to the limit. Being someone who loves history, I found everything very well researched. That is not easy to say with all writers. I was pleased with Ms. MacTavish’s characters and situations. I hope to read more of her work and find it just as pleasing as this one was for me.

Krista
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance
Reviewer for Karen Find Out About New Books


1 comment:

Meljprincess said...

Hi Dawn,
I couldn't wait for the release of PRIVATEER! I went to B&N yesterday and bought a copy. I have a French privateer in my ancestry so the book appeals to me greatly. I love the cover. Do you have a coverflat you could send me? I'm trying not to do so many blogs so if you would please contact me at the addy below I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. Btw, I didn't realize you are Dawn Thompson as well. *g* I have a couple of your historical books written under that name and I'd like to read the "Blood Moon" series! :-)

Melissa Keith
Meljprincess at aol dot com